On June 23, 2015, my Mom took me to get my annual physical.  I was preparing to go to Ballet Chicago for a Summer Intensive.  During the appointment, I saw Dr. Lori Payne, a nurse practitioner at WingHaven Pediatrics.  She asked me a series of questions.   One of the questions was, “Do you do self-breast exams?”  I looked at her and said, “No, I didn’t know I was supposed to do self-breast exams.” We talked further and I went on with my physical.  Everything checked out.  I was cleared to go and dance for 5 weeks (the number of God’s Grace).  "Life Was Good!”

Dr. Payne called my Mom a week later.  She said that she was going over her notes from her visitations the week prior and she realized that she did not give me a pamphlet on how to do self-breast exams as promised.  She asked my Mom if it would be okay if she mailed one to my house.  My Mom told her yes.  We are grateful she did.

When I returned from Ballet Chicago, my Mom gave me the envelope from Dr. Payne.  I took the envelope and never thought of it again until, Wednesday, September 30th.  Three months later, (the number of God’s completeness).  It was a normal day of school and dance.  As I was getting ready to shower, I heard the Holy Spirit say clearly, “Do a self-breast exam!”  I thought to myself, “Ok!”  I was obedient and I got the pamphlet out and began to do the exam.  I felt my right breast and I thought, “That does not feel right!”  Then I felt my left breast and it felt okay.  My immediate reaction was to tell my Mom.  She felt the lump and told me to go on and take a shower.  She called the doctor the next morning to schedule an appointment.

My parents took me to the doctor the following day.  After several exams and an ultrasound, I was diagnosed with Fibroadenoma (a non-cancerous/benign tumor or lump).  When I learned of the news I was calm, cool, and collected on the outside, but on the inside, “I WAS SCARED!”

Dr. Julie Margenthaler, my oncology surgeon, assured me that I would be okay and that my diagnosis was very common with young women.  We talked about having the lump removed.  We also discussed scheduling during Christmas break when school was out and Nutcracker was over.  I did not want the surgery to interfere with dancing. “No Way!”  We decided on December 31st.

Days and months went by and I was still scared.  This unwanted lump was growing inside of me.  The lump continued to grow.  I went from 3 centimeters to 1.5 inches in 2 months.  It was hard to stay focused on school and other things but dance was my place of escape. God gave me a Bible Scripture to meditate on during my time of fear and uncertainty, Psalms 34:19.  It says,” The righteous may have many troubles, but the Lord delivers him from them all.”

Although I did not like the news, I was thankful to God that the lump was not cancerous.  It was prayer and my faith in God, along with the faith and prayers of my family and friends that brought me through. 

As my Mom always says, “God is still a Healer!”  I know that He is because He healed me.  He answered prayer and He used gifted medical professionals to heal my body.  He is a God of Grace.  He sent His Son Jesus to complete His Perfect work.  He was wounded and whipped so that I would be healed and He did not stop there.  He completed His work by dying on the Cross and Resurrecting 3 days later with the keys to the kingdom.  All for us.

No matter what is happening in your life, God created you. 

You were fearfully and wonderfully made by God. 

You are “Beautiful and Chosen!” 

My Testimony

Mom (Dr. Troye), Dad (Dr. Reggy), & Valeda Keys
Mom (Dr. Troye), Dr. Margenthaler, & Valeda Keys
Chloe leaving Barnes-Jewish West County Hospital